The federal 2012 law makes it illegal to manufacture and import traditional incandescent light bulbs.
Along with the many CFL programs around the country, it serves to push Americans to use compact fluorescent light bulbs instead, as the only practical alternative (more on this in the column to the right!).

What then of CFL disposal?
Improper disposal of compact fluorescent light bulbs is dangerous to your family and to the environment.  In some states it is illegal to put these light bulbs in your trash.

It’s easy to dispose of them properly. 
Just send them to your Senator or Congressman in Washington.  Or send them to the EPA.
Not just the CFLs you haven’t used yet 😉
You might like to have a second look at your LEDs too….

Click here to find your Senator’s mailing address.

Click here to find your Congressman’s mailing address.

Or send your used light bulbs to EPA headquarters in Washington:

Environmental Protection Agency
Ariel Rios Building
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20460